Testimonials

Leadville 100 run nutrition totals

I have finally analyzed my nutrition from my Leadville 100 mile run journey. Here they are:

Totals
Calories: 3759
Carbohydrate grams: 686
Protein grams: 76
Fat grams: 54
Sodium milligrams: 14533
Fluid ounces: 440

Hourly totals:
Calories: 133
Carbohydrate grams: 24
Protein grams: 3
Fat grams: 2
Sodium milligrams: 516
Fluid ounces: 15.6

Getting a bit more picky, I have broken my first 50 miles versus second 50 miles (except fluid because I couldn't keep up with the tracking):

First 50 miles hourly totals:
Calories: 130
Carbohydrate grams: 23
Protein grams: 2
Fat grams: 2
Sodium milligrams: 623

Second 50 miles hourly totals:
Calories: 135
Carbohydrate grams: 25
Protein grams: 3
Fat grams: 2
Sodium milligrams: 449


My summary points:
1. First and second 50 miles were very close to one another from an hourly total standpoint. Considering my second 50 miles took me over 7 hours longer than my first 50 miles, this was a huge positive as I was consistent with my energy intake throughout.

2. I only had one bout of low blood sugar around mile 82. Other than that, I was extremely stable from a blood sugar intake standpoint.

3. Despite my efforts, I was low on sodium. The last 15 miles contributed to that as my gut did not feel well. I did have symptoms of hyponatremia as it was also a very warm day but it did not affect my performance.

4. My metabolic efficiency test the week before the race showed that I oxidized 270 calories per hour at a pace close to my average pace at Leadville. I consumed 133 calories per hour on average throughout the race which means I ingested roughly 49% of the calories I expended during my metabolic test. Of course, there are other factors that are involved but this is quite high based on what I have seen in the past. Typically, I see athletes able to consume up to 35% of their oxidation rate. However, because this was a 100 mile run, my pace was slower, intensity lower thus I was able to consume more versus doing an event such as an Ironman or 50 mile run.

5. Comparing this to my finish in 2005 is very interesting. In 2005, I averaged 262 calories per hour, 55 grams of carbohydrate, 4 grams of protein and fat, 546 milligrams of sodium and 12 ounces of fluid per hour. For 2009, I trained my body to oxidize more of my internal fat stores thus I required less. This proved to be extremely beneficial as I was 1 hour and 26 minutes faster this year.

Is there something behind this metabolic efficiency story? I would say yes! A great analysis and wrap-up of a very successful experimental season for me where I pushed my body physically to great extremes with fewer calories.

Take it for what it is worth but my metabolic efficiency concept is going to hit the athlete market hard. Just my prediction. My Metabolic Efficiency book should be coming out in the next 4-6 weeks so stay tuned! It will provide you the steps on how to do this yourself!

Coach Bob
coachbob@fuel4mance.com