Testimonials

Old School to New School: Part 3, Weight Loss Approach

By Dina Griffin, MS, RD
Sport Dietitian
Fuel4mance

Are you someone who has attempted weight loss and failed… or have you been a yo-yo dieter? I have had countless new clients, many of whom are beginner level athletes, come to me wanting to lose weight “again”. As we begin our discussion, I sometimes hear “I just need for you to tell me what to do”. This is when we switch gears because this expectation and mode of thought is old school thinking!

If you have read my previous blogs, you already know I am not a fan of rigid meal plans and a “good and bad” mentality. I am a proponent of examining nutrition in terms of its quality and how it supports your health and athletic goals. For weight loss seekers, we must dig deeper in order for you to be successful long-term. For example, what things influence you to eat? How do you view your food choices? What is happening around you when you eat your meals? How will you define and deal with successes and failures during weight loss? This is just a sampling of questions to show you that weight loss is a process. It involves self-examination and exploration of your beliefs and thoughts surrounding food and an understanding of how your lifestyle can support or sabotage your steps along the way. This process can be quite difficult for many, but with patience and a readiness to change, you can finally free yourself from the pattern of the yo-yo dieter.


For more information, feel free to contact me at dina@fuel4mance.com or visit www.fuel4mance.com.


Dina


Dina Griffin, MS, RD

Sport Dietitian

Fuel4mance