For the Fuel4mance blog and Facebook Metabolic Efficiency followers, you have likely read something about the importance of carbohydrate to protein ratios to make you a better and healthier athlete. For today’s tip, I give you 3 different breakfast ideas that provide a 1:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein. These combinations also supply 8 to 12 grams of fiber, which is excellent to start the day and support stable blood sugar levels.
“Mix and yo-go”
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 ounce walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
“Make it hot”
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 avocado
- * you can microwave the egg whites, broccoli, and spinach to quickly cook!
“Blend it up and be vegan-friendly”
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Want to know more about the carbohydrate and protein ratios and how it can affect you? Check out “Metabolic Efficiency Training: Teaching the Body to Burn Fat” and our NEW e-book “The Athlete’s Food Guide to Metabolic Efficiency” at our website.
Dina Griffin, MS, RD, CSSD