Testimonials

4 months to 50 miles

It’s been about a month since I posted my blog about my decision to attempt my first 50-mile trail run scheduled for the end of June. With the help of my coach, my training pattern has taken shape. Although I am primarily focused on getting ready for 50 miles of trail running, I do have a few 70.3 races scheduled this year so I have been ramping up my cycling and swimming which make for great cross-training opportunities.


So far, the physical training and the nutrition training have been going well overall. There are always bumps in the road in life, but when you are motivated to achieve a goal, you persist. At least those of us who are driven and have the ability to work through their challenges persist.


I thought about my own perseverance this past Sunday before and during a 16-mile run. I had been fighting a cold my husband was trying to pass onto me. I didn’t get to eat my favorite meal on Saturday night. I woke up on Sunday with a bloody nose and diarrhea (sorry if TMI). Didn’t sleep well. It was 13 degrees when I left my house to drive to the trailhead. And the westerly winds in Boulder were nasty. Were these excuses to not run? For some people, absolutely. For me, no way. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t a cakewalk for me to head out the door. But with a little self-talk that involved me remembering my goal and why I want that goal, I mentally reset. Even during the run with the wind ripping through my nostrils to my lungs, I pushed on because... well, I have a goal. I made it through to the end of the run and so happy for the accomplishment and to not have let the wind kick my butt... too hard.


So, now I am excited and ready for my next month of physical and nutrition training. The mileage is creeping up. The energy needs are increasing (metabolic efficiency, oh how you will treat me well). I’m ready for the next round of bumps (or rocks and roots) in the road, and on the trail.


Dina Griffin, MS, RD, CSSD

Sport Dietitian

Fuel4mance

dina@fuel4mance.com