Testimonials

Metabolic efficiency

If you know me, you know that I am on a mission to educate athletes about metabolic efficiency, that is, using a larger amount of stored fat as energy and preserving very limited carbohydrate stores.

Interestingly, there are many naysayers to this concept but one thing to note is that this is not new.  The Crossover Concept has existed for decades in the exercise physiology field and what I have done is introduce dietary manipulations to the mix to challenge the body to see how it responds.  How does it?  Very well and very poor, depending on what type of food you put into your body at certain times.

The goal is to become more metabolically efficiency, for both health and performance reasons.  The "how-to" includes training the body aerobically (yes, making sure you train aerobically when you are supposed to) and doing what I call a "macronutrient shift".  That is, focusing more on lean protein, healthy fat and fruits and veggies while minimizing the consumption of whole grains significantly. 

I'm currently working on a book that will explain this in much more detail and the different training and nutrition changes to make throughout the year so stay tuned.  

Not many know of my "lab rat" tendencies but I do enjoy processing the quantitative side of the body.  Thus, I am trying an experiment on myself.  Metabolic test number one is done and it shows I am metabolically inefficient.  Not good for my race goals this year (ultra running and cycling in Leadville, Colorado).  So, I am putting myself through the ropes:

1. More aerobic training and paying attention to my heart rate monitor.  This will be tough because I have a tendency of wanting to "kill" all hills when I encounter them.

and

2. Significantly altering my daily nutrition program with macronutrient shifting.  I am on day 2 of no whole grains. 

The experiment will be interesting because I am in a high volume training cycle.  Can I sustain myself and my energy needs with this plan?  Many of my athletes whom I have worked with have and have had unbelievable success if that is any testimony to the worth of my "outside the box" thinking.

I have a theory but let's just see how the next 3-4 weeks go.  I plan on holding as close to this as possible up until my first race, the Leadville marathon.

Stay tuned!

Coach Bob
coachbob@fuel4mance.com

www.twitter.com/bobseebohar